Monday, June 16, 2014

Blogging Rules & Comfort Zones

There are blogging rules.
Anyone who tries to tell you differently is lying. They are lying to you to make you feel better and keep you positive and uplifted, but it's a lie nonetheless. They have really good intentions and I totally and 100% understand and love where they are coming from.
But they're lying.

Truthfully, if you been around Bloglandia for any amount of time then you know I'm right. These "imaginary" blogging rules do exist. When I first started blogging, I did what I always do - I learned the rules quickly and played by them. For the most part, I did what I thought I was supposed to do. I broke a few -
  • Facebook - I don't have a blog Facebook because I don't want a blog Facebook. Keeping up with my blog emails, my blog Twitter, my blog Pinterest, and my blog Instagram is enough. In fact, it's too damn much, but I do it anyway. I'm not really a huge fan of Facebook and I barely pay attention to my own personal Facebook. I don't want to add another one. I'm not saying I won't ever have one, but I am very much saying that you shouldn't hold your breath waiting on one.
  • Comments - I'm terrible about responding to them. I always say I'm going to work on it and I'll be really great about it for a few days, but then I'll get behind and then I just give up. Always happens. Also, I'm terrible about leaving comments. Guys, I read your posts. All damn day long, I read your posts. But I'm so awful about actually leaving a comment to basically let you know "hey, I read this.".. I'll work on these.
Other than those two things though, I stuck pretty closely to the rules.  Because that's what you're supposed to do, right? That's just what you do.

Except.. I don't really like that mindset anymore. Jump back with me for a second to March. I wrote a post about being brave and how I really wanted to work on being brave in 2014. I didn't just write that post to have blog material. I meant that and I haven't forgotten it. I still have "be brave" pep talks with myself, often. More often than I'm sure people in my real life realize. 

During my Be Brave Journey, I've learned so much about myself and I feel like I've grown so much this year. One of the things I've learned fairly recently is that I need to worry less about the "rules" and more about myself. 

I'm a people pleaser. I care about what others think about me. I'm self conscious sometimes. I can't take a compliment. I see my flaws more than I see my good qualities. I'm not perfect. 

However, I need to get over it. I'm being a little dramatic of course, because obviously, some of those qualities will probably never go away, which is fine. BUT.. I really do have dreams and goals and even though I keep them to myself, locked away very quietly in my heart, they exist. If I want to make anything of those dreams and goals, it is time to jump outside of my comfort zone. 


Starting with this blog. Rules? Fuck rules. 
Yea, I just broke one right there. I'm not sorry. If I can't be real and I can't be me on my own little slice of the internet, then where can I be? Who am I trying to impress? Who am I putting on an act for? Who even cares? 
My comfort zone will always be there to welcome me home.. but my adventure lies outside of it.

Be brave. Be you.
Break the rules.

18 comments:

  1. I don't even have a personal facebook... why should my blog have one? lol Break the rules, you rebel you, those are my favorite kind of people. And the most fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm right with you. I hate the "blogging" rules. Who says I can't blog on Saturday and Sunday? Who says I have to talk about recipes, DIY, outfits, etc.? Who says I can't have a complete emotional breakdown on the blog every now and then? That's me and it's not always easy to be honest, but man, it feels good when you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. but for reals. a blog facebook just seems not needed. but then again i am lazy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea I don't even like my personal facebook. LOL I don't even know what the blog rules are..I just write (also, my brain is dying today on monday and I totally wrote right instead and had to delete it)

    ReplyDelete
  5. rules are meant to be broken. If I follow any of them it's more because I wasn't aware there was one . Do want you want and be proud to do it that way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. tbh, the only benefit of having a blog fb is a tiny tiny tiny bit of traffic and sometimes a company might want that number for some reason. It really does not seem to benefit the blog world that much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Psh rules who cares lol blog for you thats what I do!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been noticing so many "rules" lately and it's too much pressure. I love this post; because you rock for breaking the rules!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A blog Facebook...yea, no. I'm good.

    I feel that having a blog is a place where you can say whatever you want. If people don't like what you have to say, they can just continue on their marry way. You say/write what you want, girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that quote, and I have a similar one written down. I'm with you — fuck rules, particularly the arbitrary ones that stifle you. Be brave, be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! I don't have a Facebook page for my blog and I never will. I don't believe in rules when it comes to what I love (aside from working) and honestly, life is so much better without rules! Living by your own guidelines is so much better than following rules made by others (aside from laws, etc. haha).

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm currently having the debate about opening up a Facebook for my blog... I feel like no one will like it and then I will be sad about it so it's not worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a blog facebook and I'm pretty sure the only person who ever clicks the links is my husband. I'm debating on taking it down. It's just one more place to check every day, and there is hardly ever (read: never) any notifications.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Some rules are made to be broken. Others are made to maintain courtesy. It's just a matter of breaking the right ones. Should there be a META rule for that? F'REAL? MORE RULES!? Yup, I know it's twisted, but food for thought! xD

    ReplyDelete
  15. I break the blogging rules all the time! I don't have Facebook for my blog either and I don't foresee it happening any time in the future. I've also almost always been terrible at showing up for class when I'm supposed to. I just come and go as I please I guess.

    ReplyDelete

I love you people! Let's be friends.

Like This Post? Then You Might Also Like..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...