Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Opinions and Assholes

Who's heard the phrase "opinions are like assholes, everyone has one" ?

No one? Just me? Super.

Well this is a phrase that I thought about a lot yesterday while I was puking my guts up. Yesterday I stayed home from work because I was puking my guts up sick. So for a good majority of the afternoon I was on my couch watching Law & Order: SVU reruns and ya know, just sort of asking myself what the hell I'm doing with my life.

I mean I spent the whole day in a Swamp People Choot Em shirt..
Yes, I'm serious. Now do you understand why I spent a large majority of the day trying to understand my life choices?

I'm sure you're all probably sick of hearing it because I've mentioned several times so far during 2013 that I'm going to be making changes and getting my life in order. But I keep saying it, because I mean it. While I truly love those fluffy blogs I read occasionally where they paint this perfect picture of their life and everything is lovely, I know it's not real. I know they're lying. It usually doesn't stop me from reading the blog, because I don't mind a little bit of that "my life is perfect" mojo they're spewing out, but I love the blogs where I can tell there is a real person back there. Real struggles, real setbacks, and real triumphs.

So here's my real struggle. I have so many things I'm wanting to change that I may have gotten a little ahead of myself. Jumped in feet first with no safety net. I've overwhelmed myself a bit trying to make all of these changes at once. This is something I know about myself. I always do this. I make a decision and I'm all in.

I wish this was my biggest problem lately, but it's not. My problem right now is that I have a lot of people in my life that mean well. I am truly blessed. However, everyone has an opinion on what I should do. My family, my friends, my coworkers. Lately I've been getting a lot of "advice". Some of it I've asked for and some I haven't. It has quickly come to my attention that everyone has an opinion on what I should do with my life and everything thinks their opinion is the right one for me.

I should mention again that 90% of these opinions are coming from people who truly mean well and who love me and just want the best things for me.

The issue is that these opinions are all so different. In fact, it reminds me of a scatter plot. Any math nerds out there know what I mean? It's like I have all of these opinions and I somehow need to find a "line of best fit".


And all of this brings me back around to "opinions are like asshole, everyone has one". Yesterday I decided that while I appreciate most of the advice I'm getting, I need to decide what is best for me on my own. Some of the opinions I've gotten have been great advice, just not for me. I've spent my whole life listening to what other people think I should do and look where I am. I'm in a place that I want to get out of. So I think this time around I'm going to make my own choices. Of course I'll continue to listen to the advice given to me and maybe even take some of it into account, but I need to crawl out of the sand and find my way to the sea.

After all, who's life is it? Mine.


2 comments:

  1. Sometimes people who care the most can be the most difficult advice givers, just smile and nod and know that you are going to do what you feel is best for YOU and making big changes in your life is something that you need to do at your own pace. I can totally relate to too many people giving too much input that you didn't really ask for in the first place, at least you know they mean well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Listen dude, been there, felt like that. Thisngs do get better and you'll find a balance in your life that works for you.

    Switching gears, I'm going on vacation in a few weeks and need some guest bloggers...thought of you!! Do you want to write one for me about...hmmmm whatever you feel like?
    Let me know!
    Kate

    ReplyDelete

I love you people! Let's be friends.

Like This Post? Then You Might Also Like..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...