Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The Little Things, featuring Cranky Kay

I wasn't going to post anything today, because I can tell I'm starting to get sick and that makes me cranky.

I also gained 2 lbs this week. Which makes me cranky.

I really wanted a cookie last night, but I didn't eat one. Not because of my awesome willpower, but because I didn't have any and I had a headache and didn't want to go to the store. That makes me cranky.

I burned my finger on the curling iron this morning. That made me cranky.

I dropped my toothpaste into the toliet. That made me cranky.

It was 15 degrees this morning and I had to scrap frost off of my windshield. That made me cranky.

I got to work 10 minutes late because of said scrapping. Then someone dropped their coffee on the ground next to me and it exploded all over my legs. That made me cranky.

So I'm cranky today.


You're lying if you try to tell me you've never had days like this. When everything and everyone makes your bad mood, worse.

It didn't help that Monday wasn't really a great day either (if you follow me on twitter, you got to see some of my frustration). So I'm feeling a little defeated this week. And I didn't work out last night. I had a headache and a (super attractive) cough, so I didn't go.

Needless to say I was in a funk this morning. When I finally got a chance to get on the computer to check my emails, I had 43. I checked my email at 8pm last night. So from 8pm to about 8:30am I had gotten 43 emails. So I was already in a funk and now I'm instantly annoyed. So one by one I started going through them. Then I noticed I had some comments on a few of my blog posts. This is big news, because I only have 19 followers, so it's not like I get a lot of comments. So I quickly ignored the rest of my emails and hopped on Blogger to see the comments.

This is when shit got real.

Kate from Not Your Typical Jersey Girl left a comment on my post from yesterday.


It started with "Let me tell you this, I have been there.." and ended with "..Remember we are in this together!"

And right away I was reminded of why I started blogging. Originally I started simply so I could comment on other blogs. I read A LOT of blogs. I had them all bookmarked in their own special tab on my browser. Swear to goodness. Some of them are still there.


So I read all of these blogs (lots of diy, photography, and organizing blogs, my weaknesses) and recently I started reading a lot more weight-loss blogs. Girls who were trying to lose weight the same way I was. No miracle pill. No special pulsating stomach wrap thing that gives you abs (does anyone else know what i'm talking about? they're on commercials late at night all the time!). Girls/women who were losing weight the old fashioned way. Eating better and exercising. Which is so much easier said than done.

So every time someone posted about a struggle they were having, I wanted to give them some words of encouragement. Maybe even just a quick "Hey, you can do this! Keep up the good work!". So I created a blog.

Then I thought to myself, "Self, why don't you write about your weight loss too. Maybe posts some of your Pinterest projects? Some of those recipes you steal from your mom?" And so I did.

I guess what I'm trying to get at in the super long, rambling post, is that Kate said exactly what I needed to hear this morning. It has completely turned my morning around. And now I'm determined to go to the gym tonight for Cardio Blast.

So maybe what I'm really saying is that sometimes you have no idea how your actions or words are going to affect someone's day. Sometimes a simple "Good job" might be all they need. Sometimes they might need a little bit more. Sometimes they just need a smile and a comforting "I'm here for you".

So today, when you're walking the aisles of Wal-Mart, smile at the person you squeeze by trying to reach that bottle of shampoo. Give someone a call, just because. Take the time to tell your secretary/intern/file clerk/assistant/coworker that you do appreciate what they do. Give your kids an extra hug tonight before bed. Because the little things, are the big things.


4 comments:

  1. It's so true, the little things make the biggest difference. I'm glad that your day is getting a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's funny is that exercise often gets me out of a funk. I don't know if it's the endorphins that they claim, or the fact that by the end I can't concentrate on anything but breathing, it does the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I was able to help!!! Sometimes its hard for the people around you to understand what you are going through even if they aeem to be encouraging. Just know that one bad day isn't forever. Each day is what you make of it. gaining 2 pounds this week could mean 3 pounds down next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't give up girl!!! Everyone struggles from time to time and needs a cranky day!!! Hit the gym and relieve that stress!! You got this!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love you people! Let's be friends.

Like This Post? Then You Might Also Like..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...